No matter how you choose to celebrate, there’s a lot to look forward to in the coming weeks! But while fun and friends are great, and we are really looking forward to some holiday eats, our experts would like to take a moment to point out some critically important details regarding the holidays. Namely, electrical safety. At Bayside Electrical, the safety of our patrons throughout the Cape and Islands is of the utmost importance. And while the holidays are amazing, they also open up some opportunities for unique dangers that you’d do best to avoid. Follow along to learn our quick tips for a safe and happy holiday season!
Need electrical repair services this holiday season? Contact Bayside Electrical Contractors online today!
ELECTRICAL SAFETY TIPS FOR THE HOLIDAYS
We’ve got some very holiday-specific tips for you to help avoid the most common risks for shock and electrical fire, but we’re throwing in some pointers that will prove handy all year long:
- Use extension cords with care. Extension cords are handy, but a lot of folks unfortunately either overuse them or use them poorly. First off, never, ever plug extension cords into each other. This is extremely dangerous, as they weren’t designed to carry electrical loads in this way. Also be cautious of covering extension cords with flammable items like carpets and window dressings. Cords can generate enough heat to ignite cloth!
- Avoid overloading outlets. Keep in mind that your outlets are tied to a breaker in your electrical panel, and that breaker was designed to handle a specific amount of power safely. Exceed this, and you’re dealing with a breaker flip at best, and potential electrical fires at worst. If you need more electrical access, talk to our electricians about outlet installation.
- Inspect electrical cords. Cords that are dried and cracked with age or have incurred a cut or other form of damage should be replaced immediately to avoid risks of fire and shock. Cords can be replaced easily by an appliance service professional.
- Be careful in the kitchen. A staggering number of home fires are started in the kitchen. Be sure to always have an eye on appliances when cooking, as the holidays are very power demanding and it can be easy to miss a telltale electrical issue.
- Don’t cover lights. If you still use older light strands, keep them away from combustible materials like cloth or wood. Incandescent bulbs put off enough warmth to eventually spark a fire. Even LEDs have a minor risk for this, so be sure to keep them away from flammables!
- Water your tree. Tree fires are weirdly common. Why? Because they begin to dry out. That spells a fast fire if you’re using lights on your tree, so be sure to prolong its life by keeping it thoroughly watered.
- Pursue electrical upgrades. Is your home or business’ electrical wiring up to code? If you don’t know the answer then it might be time for a visit from our electricians! Home electrical demands rise each and every year, and failing to keep up can expose you to some serious risks.
WHY CHOOSE BAYSIDE ELECTRICAL FOR YOUR ELECTRIC NEEDS?
Bayside Electrical is a family owned and operated business serving Plymouth and the Cape and Island communities for decades. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff of electricians install, repair, and perform regular maintenance check-ups. When you need an electrician in your home or business, let our family help yours! We provide a variety of electrical services, including installations, repair, and routine maintenance. Not only do we offer high-quality installs, we’ll also make sure your equipment continues to work efficiently and safely.
For electrical services in South Shore, Cape and Islands, or their surrounding areas, contact us online or call us at (508)771-7270 today!